- Birth date : March 24, 1956
- Birth place : Midnapore Town, West Bengal, India.
- Name of father : (Late) Sri Kalipada Goswami
- Name of mother : Smt. Jayanti Goswami
- Citizenship : Indian
- Marital Status : Married
Dr. Asis Goswami
Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute
Belur Math, Howrah.
- Mobile: 09231563723
- e-mail: &
* Chairholder, UNESCO Chair in Inclusive Adapted Physical Education & Yoga (Since January 2013)
* Dean, Faculty of General and Adapted Physical Education and Yoga, and Academic Coordinator
* Head of the Department, Department of Sports Science & Yoga, Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute, Belur Math, Howrah. Joined in August 2012.
- Founder life member, Indian Society of Ergonomics, Calcutta.
- Life member, Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India, New Delhi.
- Life member, Physiological Society of India, Calcutta.
- Founder Life member School of Work Environment and Applied Technology, Ahmadabad
- Member, New York Academy of Sciences, USA. (1997-98).
- Member, American Society of Exercise Physiologists, USA (2000-2006).
- Member, National Geographic Society, USA. (2000-2003)
AREAS OF RESEARCH:
- Ergonomics/Human Factors Engineering.
- Work Physiology/Sports Physiology.
- Evaluation and development of mobility aids for lower extremity handicapped.
- Electromyographic studies on man at rest and work.
- Physiological responses of athletes during game and in laboratory conditions.
- Bio-mechanical analysis of posture using 3D motion analysis system and force platform.
Research Positions held :
|March 1978||February 1979||Lecturer in Physiology||Vidyasagar College Calcutta|
|Honorary Research Scientist||Under Dr.R.N. Sen Deptt. Physiology, Univ. Coll. Sci, Tech. & Agr., Calcutta.|
|Research Assistant (in a project Ministry of Social Welfare)||Bioengineering Unit, Univ. Coll. of Medicine, Goenka Hospital, Calcutta.|
|Research Assistant||Occupational Physiol. Div., National|
Institute of Occupational Health
|Junior Scientific Officer#*||Dept. of Sports Physiol., Faculty of Sports Sciences, Sports Authority of|
India, Netaji Subhas National Institute.
|Scientific Officer *||– DO –|
(In-Charge of Physiology Dept. &
Biochemistry Dept. from Jan., 1990)
|Scientific Officer and In-charge (Transfer to another centre of SAI)||Dept. of Physiology, Sports Authority of India, Netaji Subhas Western Centre, Gandhinagar, Gujarat.|
|Scientific Officer (Transfer to another centre of SAI)||Dept. of Physiology, Sports Authority of India, Netaji Subhas Southern Centre, Bangalore, Karnataka.|
|May 1999||August 2005||Scientific Officer and In-charge (Transfer to another centre of SAI)||Dept. of Physiology, Sports Authority of India, Netaji Subhas Western Centre, Gandhinagar, Gujarat.|
|August 2005||September 30, 2006||Scientific Officer and In-charge (SS) (Transfer to another centre of SAI)||Dept. of Physiology, Sports Authority of India, Netaji Subhas Eastern Centre, Kolkata, West Bengal. Taken Voluntary retirement in Sept.2006.|
# was responsible for setting up of Neurophysiology Laboratory under the Deptt. of Sports Physiology.* Taught in MCI recognized post graduate medical course “ Diploma in Sports Medicine” for 10 years.
PAPERS PUBLISHED IN INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS:
- Ghosh, A.K., Tibarewala, D.N., Dasgupta, S.R., Goswami, A. and Ganguli, S. Metabolic cost of walking at different speeds with axillary crutches. Ergonomics (UK), 23, 6, 571- 577, 1980. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7202401
- Goswami, A., Ghosh, A.K., Ganguli, S. and Banerjee, A.K. Aerobic capacity of severely disabled Indians. Ergonomics (UK), 27,2, 1267-1269, 1984. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6241146
- Pradhan, C.K., Goswami, A., Ghosh, S.N. and Nag, P.K. Ergodesign and physological valuation of different types of Spades work. In: `Ergonomics in Developing Countries – An International Symposium’, Occupational Health and Safety Series (I.L.O.), no. 58, 436-444, 1985.
- Goswami, A., Ganguli, S., Bose, K.S. and Chatterjee, B.B. Anthropometric analysis of tricycle designs. Applied Ergonomics (UK), 17, 1, 25-29, 1986. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15676567
- Goswami, A., Ganguli, S. and Chatterjee, B.B. Ergonomics analysis of Wheelchair designs. Clinical Biomechanics (UK), 1, 3, 135-139, 1986. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23915505
- Nag, P.K., Pradhan, C.K. and Goswami, A. Cardiorespiratory and muscle responses in static, dynamic and combined work. Journal of Human Ergology (Japan), 15, 73-77, 1986. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3819386
- Goswami, A., Ganguli, S. and Chatterjee, B.B. Anthropometric characteristics of disabled and normal Indian men. Ergonomics (UK), 30, 5, 817-823, 1988. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2956089
- Nag, P.K., Goswami, A., Ashtekar, S. and Pradhan, C.K. Ergonomics in sickle operation. Applied Ergonomics (UK), 19, 3, 233-239, 1988. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15676665
- Pradhan, C.K., Goswami, A., Ashtekar, S. and Nag, P.K. Use of wire claw in railway track maintenance work. Journal of Human Ergology (Japan), 17, 1, 37-42, 1988. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3221080
- Ghosh, A.K., Mazumdar, P., Goswami, A., Ahuja, A. and Puri, T.P.S. Heart rate and blood lactate response in competitive badminton. Annals of Sports Medicine (USA), 5, 85-88, 1990.
- Sadhukhan, A.K., Goswami, A., Kumar, A. and Gupta, S. Effect of sampling frequency on EMG power spectral characteristics. Electromyography and Clinical Neurophysiology (Belgium), 34, 159-163, 1994. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8045247
- Gupta, S., Goswami, A., Sadhukhan, A.K. and Mathur, D.N. Comparative study of lactate removal in short term massage of extremities, active recovery and a passive recovery period after supramaximal exercise sessions. International Journal of Sports Medicine (Germany), 17, 106-110, 1996. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8833711
- Goswami, A. and Gupta, S. Cardiovascular stress and lactate formation during gymnastic routines. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness(Itally) 38, 4:317-322, 1998. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9973775
- Goswami, A. Exercise Physiology – The legacy with clinical areas. Professionalization of Exercise Physiology Online, Vol. 3, no. 8, August 2000 (http://www.asep.org/asep/asep/EPLegacy.html)
- Gupta, S. and Goswami, A. (2017) Effects of systems of play on the heart rate response and the contribution of aerobic-anerobic systems during selection football match play. International Journal of Perceptions in Public Health 2017;1(3):177-182.
- Gupta, S. and Goswami, A. (2017) Heart rate and lactate response of junior handball players (Under 18) during competitive match play. International Journal of Applied Exercise Physiology, Vol.6 No2, 53-59.
PAPERS PUBLISHED IN INDIAN NATIONAL JOURNALS:
- Tibarewala. D.N., Ghosh, A.K., Goswami, A., Ganguli, S. and Bose, K.S. Biomechanical and bioenergetic studies on human gait – a new approach. Medical and Life Science Engineering (India), 5, 2, 81-92, 1979.
- Goswami, A., Ghosh, A.K. and Ganguli, S. Assessment of a handicapped mobility aid by means of heart rate. Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India), 62, pt. IDGE-3, June, 55-57, 1982.
- Banerjee, A.K., Goswami, A. and Ganguli, S. Performance Index – a systematic approach
in athletic evaluation. Proc. “All India Seminar on New Dimension in Physical Education and Sports”, Department of Physical Education, University of Kalyani, Kalyani, 70-73, 1983.
- Pradhan, C.K., Goswami, A., Ghosh, S.N. and Nag, P.K. Evaluation of working with spades on agriculture. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 84, 10, 424-429, 1986. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3781600
- Nag, P.K., Goswami, A., Pradhan, C.K. and Ashtekar, S. Convergence of surface and deep body temperature in combined stress of metabolic and environmental warmths. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 84, 10, 418-423, 1986. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3781599
- Ghosh, A.K., Mazumdar, P., Goswami, A. and Khanna, G.L. Aerobic anaerobic transition level of Indian middle and long distance runners. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 88, 10, 371-375, 1988. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3225023
- Pradhan, C.K., Goswami, A., Ashtekar, S. and Nag, P.K. Postural stress and discomfort in railway gangmen. Indian Journal of Occupational Health, 32, 1&2, 6-12, 1989. Ghosh, A.K., Ahuja, A. and Goswami, A. Physical and physiological profile of Indian National Women hockey players. NIS Scientific Journal, 14, 4, 1-9, 1991.
- Ghosh, A.K., Goswami, A., Mazumdar, P. and Mathur, D.N. Heart rate and blood lactate response in field hockey. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 94[B], 10, 351-356, 1991. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1794891
- Ahuja, A., Goswami, A., Adhikari, A. and Ghosh, A.K. Evaluation of effects of REVITAL on physical performance in sportsmen. The Indian Practitioner, August, XLV, 8, 685-688, 1992.
- Ghosh, A.K., Goswami, A. and Ahuja, A. Evaluation of sports specific training programme in badminton players. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 98[B], 10, 232-236, 1993. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8119758
- Ahuja, A. and Goswami, A. Injury Index : an indicator of epidemiology in sports trauma. NIS Scientific Journal, 16, 4, 3-8, 1993.
- Ahuja, A., Goswami, A. and Ahuja, R. Cardiac volume of elite Indian weight lifters. NIS Scientific Journal, 17, 1, 3-10, 1994.
- Mohan, N.C., Goswami, A., Fortgaland, G.D. and Tandon, D.K. Specific role of deltoid muscle in Olympic lifts: An EMG study. NIS Scientific Journal, 18, 1, 22-29, 1995.
- Goswami, A., Mathur, D.N. and Ghosh, A.K. Blood lactate removal pattern after submaximal and supramaximal exercises. NIS Scientific Journal, 18, 2, 11-15, 1995.
- Ghosh, A.K., Ahuja, A and Goswami, A. Heart rate and blood lactate response in amateur competitive boxing. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 102, 10, 179-183, 1995. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8543363
- Goswami, A. Guideline on interpretation of physiological data. 43rd National School Games Championship Souvenir, 16-18, 1997.
- Gupta, S., Goswami, A. and Mukhopadhyay, S. Cardiovascular and metabolic response in 400m flat and 400m hurdles running. Indian Journal of Physiology & Pharmacology, 43, 3, 361-366, 1999. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10776485
- Gupta, S. and Goswami, A. Cardiovascular stress during some selected training programmes of Olympic weightlifting. Indian Journal of Physiology and Allied Sciences, 53, 2, 58-68, 1999.
- Gupta, S. and Goswami, A. Blood lactate concentration at selected of Olympic weight lifting. Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 45, 2, 239-244, 2001. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11480232
- Goswami, A. and Sadhukhan, A.K. EMG Characteristics and fibre composition : Study on rectus femoris of sprinters and long distance runners. Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 45, 4, 497-501, 2001. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11883160
- Gupta, S. and Goswami, A. A comparative study of cardiovascular stress during different swimming strokes. Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 45, 2, 245- 248, 2001. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11480233
- Goswami, A. Sports Ergonomics : Its nature and scope. UDYOG PRAGATI – The Journal for Practicing Managers, 25, 2, 32-36, 2001.
- Gupta, S. and Goswami, A. Cardiovascular stress and extent of lactate metabolism in 1Km time trial cycling. J. Sports Traumatology & Allied Sports Sciences, 3, 80-85, 2001.
- Goswami, A. Energy systems of the body. Course material – Sports Rehabilitation Course, Silver Jubilee Congress of IASM, organized by GNDU, Amritsar, December, 2003.
- Goswami, A. Training principles and methods in competitive sports. Course material – Sports Rehabilitation Course, Silver Jubilee Congress of IASM, organized by GNDU, Amritsar, December, 2003.
- Goswami, A. Recreational and competitive sports – Goldmine for Design application. Design Plus, volume XIX, page 9-10, December, 2005.
BOOKS AND MONOGRAPHS PUBLISHED
- Nag, P.K., Pradhan, C.K. and Goswami, A. Ergonomics in Railway track maintenance. Special Report, National Institute of Occupational Health, ICMR (India), Ahmedabad, 1985.
- Goswami, A. Anthropometry of people with disability. In: Kumar, S. (Ed.), Perspectives in rehabilitation ergonomics. Taylor and Francis, London, U.K., 1997.
- Goswami, A. “Anaerobic threshold” – a chapter in “INDUSTRIAL AND OCCUPATIONAL ERGONOMICS USER‟S ENCYCLOPAEDIA “. Published in C.D. form in 1999 BY International Journal of Industrial Enginering.
- Singh, J., Goswami, A., Ranga, M.D. and Jayaprakash, C.S. A coaches manual for 11 monitoring young Indian athletes”, 1997. Published for internal circulation of Sports Authority of India.
- Goswami, A. Human work capacity – its implication and management in agricultre. Lecture notes for Workshop on Occupational Health & Safety in Agriculture, NIOH, ICMR, Ahmedabad, 14-18 February, 2000 (Eds: P.K. Nag).
- Goswami, A. Ergonomics in Sports – Indian Context. In: Physiology for Therapeutic and Rehabilitation Practices – Current approaches. (Ed) G.L. Khanna, Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, 2007.
- Goswami, A. Muscular endurance and power. In: Methodologies for Fitness Assessment. (Eds) K. Sen Ray, G. Subulakshmi, M. Subhadra, Ane Books Pvt Ltd., Mumbai, 2011, pp57-62.
- Goswami, A. Methodology for skill related fitness. In: Methodologies for Fitness Assessment. (Eds) K. Sen Ray, G. Subulakshmi, M. Subhadra, Ane Books Pvt Ltd., Mumbai, 2011 pp63-76.
- Goswami, A. Exercise physiology and ergonomics: An introduction. Academic publishers, Kolkata, 2012.
- Participated in the workshop on physical education as a visiting faculty during Oct. 15, 1984 to Oct. 30, 1984 at Deptt. of Physical Education, University of Kalyani, West Bengal.
- Acted as visiting faculty at Deptt. of Physiology, Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, W.B., from 1991 to 1995. Has been one of the member to prepare the syllabus for M.Sc. in “Human Physiology with Community Health” of Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, W.B.
- Acted as visiting faculty for Department of Home Science, SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai, 1997 & 1999, 2000, 2001.
- Served as UGC visiting faculty for the Dept. of Sports Medicine and Physiotherapy, GNDU, Amritsar in August, 2001. Examiner of Guru Nanak Dev University in Graduate & Postgraduate Course in Sports Physiotherapy, Amritsar, 2003-2004.
- Member of the Syllabus Committee of the NITIE TIFAC CORE project, NITIE, Mumbai, 2002.
- Served as Faculty member for FIMS Team Physician Development Course and Sports Rehabilitation course, during Silver Jubilee Congress of IASM, organized by GNDU, Amritsar, December, 2003.
- Visiting Faculty of National Institute of Design, Paldi, Ahmedabad, 2004.
- Entrepreneurship Consultant to TIFAC, DST, sponsored project “Technology Gap analysis study for Surgical Instruments Manufacturing Units Cluster at Baruipur”, School of Bio-science and Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, July-Dec, 2007.
- Remained Visiting Faculty at Dept. of Physiology, C.U. (2005-2009), School of Bio-science and Engineering, Jadavpur University (2006), Dept. of Physiology, K.N. College, Berhampur, Murshidabad, W.B(2006-07), Nopany Institute of Healthcare Studies (2009- 2011), Ashutosh College Training Centre, Kolkata (2008-2010), National Institute of Occupational Health, Kolkata (2008 2011), Rammohan College (PG), Kolkata (2011), Regional Labour Institute, Kolkata (2009-2011), National Institute of Orthopaedically Handicapped, Kolkata (2007-2010). Part-time faculty at Vidyasagar College, Kolkata and, 2008-2012.
- External expert in Ph.D. committee of School of Bioscience and Engineering, Jadavpur University since 2010.
- External expert in Academic Council, Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped, Mumbai. (2014)
- Remained consultant to National Institute for Training in Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai; Expert in the committee of IIM Shillong to develop sports policy for the Meghalaya State.
Master Level Thesis :
- Development of suitable methodology to evaluate skill and match play in hockey by using time motion analysis and physiological variables – submitted by Mr. Vasu Thapliwal, 1991.
- Relationship between selected motor abilities and performance in 800 meters run of 16 to 19 years Indian male runners – submitted by Mr. P.J.S. Bajwa, 1992.
- Study on the physiological stress of Weight lifting exercises. Submitted by Mr. S.S. Mokha, 1993.
- A study on the upper body muscle involvement during submaximal Olympic lifts. Submitted by Mr. N.C. Mohan, 1994.
- Comparison of muscle activity of the shoulder girdle between elite and non-elite Indian Gymnasts during the execution of `Forward scissors’ on Pommel Horse. Submitted by Mr. Ram Niwas, 1996.
Ph.D. Thesis Guidance :
- Integrated study on work stress and recovery among Indian Sports persons. By Mr. Subir Gupta at Calcutta University. Awarded in May, 1999. Acted as Guide.
- A study of muscle interactions during some Gymnastic activities. Submitted by Ms. Aruna Sachdeva, Lecturer IGIPESS (Delhi), at Punjabi University, Patiala, September 1999. Acted as Co-Guide.
- Cardiorespiratory adjustments to exercise and anaerobic threshold in female athletes. Submitted by Ms. Ajita, former SAI Research Fellow, at Punjabi University, Patiala. Awarded in May 2001. Acted as Co-guide.
- Acting as Guide of Mr. Triloki Prasad on the topic “On Mobility Pattern of Visually Impaired in Sporting Activities”, registered at RKMVU, Belur Math.
HONOURS AND AWARDS:
2002 Recipient of Dr. S.R. Maitra Memorial Oration Award given by The Physiological Society of India, Calcutta.
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL ACHIEVEMENT:
- Acted as REVIEWER and REFEREE for the following journals:
- NIS SCEINTIFIC JOURNAL, Sports Authority of India, India.
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INDUSTRIAL ERGONOMICS, ELSEVIER SCIENCE PUBLISHERS, THE NETHERLANDS.
- Editorial Board member of “Journal of Sports Traumatology and Allied Sports Sciences” (Indian Association of Sports Medicine, India)
- Editorial Board member of “ISE Newsletter” (Indian Society of Ergonomics, India) since 2001. (http://www.ise.org.in)
- Nominated as a Member of the “Core group of Resource persons for Cycle Rickshaw
Improvement Initiative”, Constituted by Department of Science and Technology,
Government of India (1996).
- ILO Enlisted Member of the Expert Group in Anthropometry in Developing Countries.
Lectures delivered as UNESCO Chair-holder
- Delivered an invited lecture at HWWE 2013 “Using heart rate as a measure of work load / work stress – merits and demerits in view of the present day knowledge” held at Vidyasagar University, Midnapore during December, 2013.
- Delivered two lectures at one Day conference on “Injury Free Sportsmen” organized by Rotary Club Ahmedabad Metro at Ahmedabad on 1 st February, 2014. Titles of the lectures were “How much fluid and what diet? When and When not!” and “WADA rules and its impact on Sportsmen’s life”.
- Two lectures were delivered by Dr. Asis Goswami during the conference on “Challenges and Rehabilitation Practices for the Differently Abled” held at Off- Campus Faculty Centre, Coimbatore. Title of lectures: “Origin of research ethics and present ethical guideline” , “Principles of best practice in research publication”
- A Lecture on “Disability and Rehabilitation – Social and Legal Issues (Role of Educational Institutions)” was delivered on 26 th March, 2014 in the seminar in the occasion of 1 st Anniversery Celebration of High Court of Manipur at Imphal.
- Attended the UNESCO organized International Conference “Form Exclusion to Empowerment: The Role of ICTs for Persons with Disabilities” at New Delhi on November 24 th 2014 and Delivered lecture on “Adapted Physical Activity programme for the disabled -the role of ICT”.
- Delivered a lecture on “ICT, Adapted Physical Activity and Ergonomics – design perspective” in HWWE 2014 conference at IIT Guwahati. Dec.1-5, 2014. He had also chaired a session.
- Attended workshop on “Kinanthropometry, Strength, Conditioning, Nutrition and Rehabilitation” held during 9-10 February, 2015 at Department of Sports Science, Punjabi University, Patiala and delivered a lecture on ‘Rehabilitation’.