The Department of Sports Science and Yoga offers the following programmes in Sports Science.
1. Ph.D. in Sports Science
Of late, utilization of scientific concepts in sports to achieve higher level of performance could be observed all over world. In India, Sports Science is an emerging discipline in higher education. Sports or exercise science is a multidisciplinary approach encompassing various subjects like exercise physiology, biomechanics, sports psychology, sports medicine, nutrition and so on. A higher University degree is a requirement for working in sports and exercise science in Clinics, Sports Clubs, Fitness Centres and evaluation of professional athletes for a scientific back up in high performance sports. Professional players require a much higher standard of care from the sports scientists who should hold postgraduate university qualifications and be proficient in their job. Considering the future need in the country and shortage of persons trained to support different sporting teams, the RKMVERI has embarked on research and academic courses in this field.
The present programme is an integrated programme in M.Phil. – Ph.D.
Objectives of the course
To prepare students for research and professional activities in the field of Sports Science through
- Creating awareness about various specialised subject areas in Sports Science
- Inculcating enhanced thinking process
- Improving ability to convert theory into practices
- Developing ability of focused research and application for improving sports performance.
- Mastering complex skills that are grounded in and guided by systematic theory and research
- Providing sports science support services to sports clubs, fitness centres, sports teams, and the like.
2. M.Sc. in Sports Science
(Two Years Full time course)
The course content has been developed following the UGC guidelines. Read / download the syllabus