Aims and Objective
The Department of Sports Science and Yoga, under the School of Indian Heritage at the Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational Research Institute (RKMVERI), Belur Math, is organising a Four-day long Holistic Yoga School for national and international academicians, scientists, and research scholars from all disciplines, who are interested to learn about various facets of Yoga. The Yoga School will cover three major and important building blocks of the subject.
- First, the participants will be introduced to the treasures of ancient Indian Yogic Systems, including the most well-known Patanjali Yoga Philosophy.
- Second, the participants will be taught about preventive and health promotive aspects of Yoga based on modern scientific principles by which a common man who is not ‘Yogi’ per se can accrue the benefits of Yoga at the physical plane leading to a healthy life.
- Finally, the Yoga School will elucidate on the impact of Yoga in the management of various mental diseases particularly the ones induced by changing life style in the modern times.
Apart from the above three theoretical aspects, participants will also have hands-on experience / training in three important yogic practices, namely, Yogic-postures (asanas), Yogic-breath-control (pranayama, kriya) and Yogic mind-control (meditation). Each lecture and practise session will be conducted by eminent experts in this field.
The Yoga school is designed to cater to academicians, scientists, faculty and research scholars. Foreign delegates who will attend CALDAM and/or WALCOM Conferences in February 2019 will find a great opportunity to learn about Yoga by attending this Yoga school. The school is also suitable for faculty and research scholars from Indian Universities and scientific research institutes of India.
The venue is the Belur Main Campus of RKMVERI (formerly Vivekananda University), located by the side of holy river Ganges in the vicinity of serene and spiritually charged campus of Belur Math, which is the Head Quarters of the world wide famous Ramakrishna Mission established by Swami Vivekananda, who, in recent times (late 19th and early 20th century) took Yoga–Vedanta beyond the Indian subcontinent to the Western world. Climate in February is very comfortable in this part of India. Overall it will be refreshing for foreign participants in the midst of busy academic schedule.
- Intense and wide, covering topics from Yoga Philosophy to Yoga Practice
- Certificate of completion will be given by RKMVERI
- Total 50 hours retreat (18 hours of Practice session, 12 hours of Lecture plus other activities)
- Excursion to the Holy Belur Math
- Yoga mats and dresses will be provided
See the Program Schedule (tentative)
- Swami Atmapriyananda, Vice Chancellor, RKMVERI
- Swami Sarvottamananda, Pro-Vice Chancellor, RKMVERI
- Swami Kaleshananda, Controller of Examinations, RKMVERI
- Swami Kirtipradananda, Registrar, RKMVERI
- Prof. U S Ray, Professor of Yoga RKMVERI
- Prof. R. Mukherjee, Professor of Yoga RKMVERI
- P Samanta, RKMVERI
- Dr Hemant Bhargav, Scientist, NIMHANS Integrated Centre for Yoga, Bangalore
- Dr. Uday Choudhury, President, Psychiatrists Society of India
- Prof. Madhusudan Penna, Kaivalyadhama Yoga Institute, Lonavala, Maharashtra
- G. S. Sahay, Director, Yogic Heritage, Lonavala, India
- Yoga school fee: Rs. 20,000/- (inclusive of boarding and food charges)
- Accommodation: Accommodation and food will be provided to all registered participants
- Pre-registration: Ideally foreign delegates who will attend Conferences in India in February 2019 (including CALDAM and WALCOM) will find this Yoga School an excellent opportunity to learn deeper aspects of Yoga alongside their visit to India for the above conferences. Faculty and research scholars from Indian Universities and research Institutes are also welcome to attend the school, since the target audience is people from the academia. If you are interested to attend the Yoga school, kindly fill up the following Pre-registration form. Upon receipt of this we will contact you with all the registration and other details.